Human Services & Child Welfare

Child Care 


Kit Carson County DHS is currently recruiting 2-3 new families to serve as Certified Foster Homes for emergency, short-term, and/or long-term placements!  KCCDHS will take you through the entire certification process at no cost, help you maintain your certification afterward, and provide support for ongoing learning too! If you have any questions or would like to begin your certification processes,  pleas

 Kit Carson County Human Services is assisting with child care needs in the community. If you are in need of child care or would like to assist in providing child care in the community please complete the following link

Human Services is taking volunteers who may be interested in providing child care. Any person interested would need to be able to successfully complete a background check prior to providing this service. If you have questions about this please contact Tiffany Ramos at 719-346-7158 ext. 431 or

Apply online for child support services! The Colorado Child Support Services (CSS) Program has launched a streamlined application that's available 24/7 - apply online anywhere, any time. Get started today.

About the Child Support Services Program: 
CSS oversees the state’s child support system. Individual child support orders are managed by Colorado’s county child support offices. You can find many helpful services on the CSS website including:

• Applying for child support services
• How to create an online account to view specific information on your child support case
• How and when to request changes to a child support order
• Different ways to make and receive child support payments
• Frequently asked questions about child support in Colorado

Visit the CSS website.

Medical coverage

To ensure that Coloradans have the health coverage they need, including for issues related to COVID-19, Connect for Health Colorado has opened up a two-week special enrollment period for Coloradans who are currently uninsured or are about to lose coverage due to COVID-19. That coverage will start April 1, 2020 and Coloradans must enroll by April 3 to receive coverage under this COVID-19 rule. Please visit to learn more. Coloradans can also call the Connect for Colorado customer service center at 855-752-6749 or get help enrolling with a certified enrollment expert.

Hunger Relief Fund

Link for other community resources

Visit CCS web site

The STEPS Online Guide to Public Assistance: How to Get the Help You Need
From affordable housing to food security, public assistance can help families make ends meet. Learn where to go, how to apply, and get expert insight into dozens of local, state, and federal programs.

252 S. 14th Street
Burlington, CO 80807

Human Services Director:
Tiffany Ramos (719) 346-7158 ext. 431

Foster Care

Kit Carson County is currently looking for individuals that would be interested in fostering children. Kit Carson County strives to keep children with their families, however, there are times that due to family circumstances, children are not able to remain with their immediate family. If you are interested in becoming a foster parent for children residing in Kit Carson County please contact Madisson Ramos at 719-346-7158 ext 439.

Services Include:

Children, Youth &, Families

kids holding each other
  • Home-Based Services
  • Life Skills
  • Crisis Intervention
  • Prevention/Intervention
  • Kinship Supports
  • Family Facilitated Meetings
  • Permanency Roundtables
  • Youth In Conflict Services
  • Referrals to Community-Based Services
  • Food/Medical/TANF application
  • LEAP

To find out more about the services offered or to request services, contact us at (719) 346-8732.

Adult Protective Services

Colorado Peak Logo
  • Assessment of Needs of At-Risk Adults
  • Referrals to Community-Based Services

To find out more about the services offered or to request services, contact us at (719) 346-8732.


The CDHS (Colorado Department of Human Services), Division of Child Care is the lead agency on CCAP.
CCAP provides child care assistance to low-income families that are working, searching for employment or are in training, Child Welfare cases and families that are enrolled in the Colorado Works Program and need child care services to support their efforts toward self-sufficiency. The funding sources for CCAP are a mixture of federal, state, and county dollars, as well as through parent fees. Parent fees are set by the state through rule.

As an example, to apply for CCAP, a family of four may earn up to $47,100 a year.
Both Child Care providers and parents/caretakers need to apply for CCAP.
Currently, Kit Carson County has 9 Child Care providers in the CCAP system. In 2013, five Child Care Providers received financial grants of up to $1,100 to use toward the Colorado standards of exercise and reading. Exercise equipment and books were purchased with the grants.

To apply for assistance with child care, or to apply as a child care provider, please contact (719) 346-7158.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • CO Works
  • Colorado Works/Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (HB-141-, TANF)
  • TANF Child Only Program
  • Aid to the Blind (AB)
  • Child Support
  • Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
  • Aid to Needy and Disabled (AND)
  • Food Assistance Program Authorization (FA)
  • Home Care Allowance Program (HCA)
  • Old Age Pension (OAP)
  • Medicaid Transportation

United States Department of Agriculture
USDA Nondiscrimination Statement (Continued)
Joint Application Form (HHS)


This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin,
disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national
origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil
rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information
(e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State
or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech
disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally,
program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination
Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA
office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested
in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed
form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442, or
  3. email:

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which
is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of
hotline numbers by State), found online at: SNAP Hotline.

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance
through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office
for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call
(202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Page 3 of 3
October 14, 2015